The two main boulevards of Ramat Hasharon, Bialik Boulevard and Weizmann Boulevard, are in fact one long boulevard, from east to west. They are cut off by the city’s main street, Sokolov street. These boulevards, in addition to their importance and location, represent important aspects of Ramat Hasharon’s history and evolution.
A journey along Bialik Boulevard begins from the eastern border of the city to the west. The first structure, on the hill on the left, is “Binyamini House”. Binyamin was a central figure in the history of Ramat Hasharon and was one of the first Heads of Council. The structure is currently neglected and is awaiting renovation and preservation and will be the future History museum of the city. The many tall buildings beside it were built on agricultural land that Binymani purchased with the founders of Ramat Hasharon in 1922.
Further west is the Independence Square, where ceremonies and performances take place throughout the year, including concerts and fireworks displays on Independence Day and outdoor performances throughout the summer.
The municipality is adjacent to Independence Square (therefore many refer to it as “Municipality Square”). The municipality is in fact the first public building that was constructed in Ramat Hasharon in 1928. In those days, the modest one story building was used for settlement committee meetings and served as the only cultural venue. One room in the west wing was used to treat the sick (health clinic) and along one of the walls, in closed cabinets, was the “public library”. In the east wing lay the synagogue of the young town.
West on Bialik Boulevard the visitor comes upon Malinov House, a beautiful building with a large garden in front, that was donated to the municipality by the Malinov family many years ago and is currently a lively and active senior citizen center which is operated by an independent, non profit organization.
Along the wide boulevards shaded with palm trees and other landscape trees, there are many benches which attract many residents who enjoy the shade, the breeze and the possibility of free internet browsing on WiFi, a service the municipality offers residents and visitors.
Weizman Boulevard ends at Sokolov street, a busy street virtually all hours of the day. The street divides the city from south to north and is one of the main traffic axes from Herzliya and Raanana, north of Ramat Hasharon, towards Tel Aviv and the south. The street was paved between Herzliya and Tel Aviv between 1937 – 1941 to ease the traffic between Herzliya and Tel Aviv and to enable the Ramat Hasharon farmers to transport their produce to the big city at a time when there were hardly any roads in the area.
Weizmann Boulevard, named after Israel’s first president, begins at Sokolov street until the twin city Georgsmarienhute square. Jabotinsky street is a continuation of Weizmann Boulevard at ends at the western fields of Ramat Hasharon.
In the central part of Weizmann Boulevard, on the wide traffic island between the two traffic routes, is Ramat Hasharon’s statue garden. The garden was built in 2007 and named after Yoav Dagon, of blessed memory, who was the director of the Herzliya museum. Many leading sculptors in Israel donated their work that was situated the length of the boulevard and are a source of enjoyment to the individuals strolling down Weizmann boulevard, as well as an important source of attraction to visitors to Ramat Hasharon. Down the boulevard there is an outdoor gallery. In this special gallery that has no walls, works are displayed by photographers and painters and visitors can stroll among them in the open air
In the northern part of the boulevard, virtually across from the outdoor gallery (30 meters west) there is an old, neglected building. This is the site of the first water well. In fact, it is the second well, but the first well that was dug in another location, supplied a very small amount of water, 7-8 meter cube per hour. The well on Weizmann Boulevard was dug in 1927 and it enabled the development of the town and the agriculture in Ramat Hasharon. Until the well was dug, the settlers had to procure water in barrels, on horse driven carts, from distant settlements, and the water was rationed to every family. The well, 42 meters deep, was dug by hand and the soil was evacuated in buckets that were brought up on ropes. The edges of the pit were coated with bricks and the pump was installed at the bottom of the pit. The water, 200 metric cubes an hour, was transferred in pipes to an iron reservoir that was built on the hill near the municipality (close to what is now Ussishkin school) and from there to the homes of the farmers and the land they farmed.
The town’s old post office is situated on the southern side, opposite the outdoor gallery. It is open to this day and serves the west side residents of Ramat Hasharon.